Motherhood, Parenting and Everything in between

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

I'm a year old!!

It was never a big deal for me if I reach the 1 year mark working day in and day out. I never gave so much of a thought that staying in a company for a year would be a big deal. I mean I have experienced staying more than a year in my previous job. I stayed a year and 8 months to be exact before I told myself that enough is enough and I'm am not going anywhere with the job that I have. At the age of 22, I felt i hit the wall face first and I'm going nowhere. I had reached a dead end street. A dead end job. I really could not imagine my self slaving year after year taking in calls from cardholders and giving in to all their whims and outrageous requests just because they are the customer. This is where I realized that the saying, "the customer is always right" does not apply at all. One has to draw the line somewhere. And I did. I said enough is enough and I got sick hearing the same profanity from different people everyday and bearing the faults of the other departments and lying to the customer that everything will be alright, when you know it won't.

Thank God i got out early and found a better job. And today I mark my first year working in this company. I enjoyed the job with a few hiccups on the way. Which was partly my fault since I admit to being a procrastinator when I really feel like not working. But once I start, I try to finish the job before i leave for home. One way or the other, I'm glad I get to use the things I learned in College. I'm glad i got to meet new people and establish strong friendships with a few chosen ones. I'm glad i get to manage to live still within my means.

Things that I learned the whole three years that I have been working:
* Admit if it is really your fault. Honesty doesn't hurt at all, it actually earns you respect.
* The boss is not always right. Argue with the boss if you have to, but in a calm tone. He is still the one responsible for your salary.
* There will always be an officemate who wants to compete with you or treats you as a threat. Don't get affected. Take it as a challenge to excel more.
* Always be on your toes when it comes to personal or even work issues. You don't know who your enemy is. being to open can hurt you.
* Never Ever bring your personal issues to work. You'll never get anything done and everything gets affected.
* What happens in the office, stays in the office. And that thing is called WORK. Once you get home, think of your family, yourself. Establish "ME" time at home. It's more relaxing.
* Treat your contacts and clients as friends, you'll never know they might hold the right key to the right door to your future.
* You can't avoid "petiks", just make sure your officemates see you working from time to time. Keep yourself busy sometimes.
* There will always be office gossip. It's ok to talk about it but fabricating or inventing stories about someone which is really not true is below the belt.
* Still on the office gossip note, not being paranoid here or anything but, you are also being talked about and just live with that fact. People always need something to talk about as a past time.

Well so far that's what I learned working and everyday I pick up nuggets of wisdom and lessons from people who have stayed longer than me. So far, I'm still enjoying the perks of my work but I do admit there are times that I feel I should move up and explore more since I still have the time in the world to veture into something that would really make me stay longer. I do hope that in the future I find that job that would make me stay longer, more than 10 years i suppose. Or I hope that job finds me soon. But for now, I'll stay here and in the days that i feel frustrated and tired, then I shall look for that job.

*Happy Anniv to me!! YEHEY!! * ^_^

No comments: