Motherhood, Parenting and Everything in between

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Cross posting my old blog ^_^

just posting an old blog that i made sometime last year. since father's day is only a month away, might as well start early. hehehe

FOR MY DADA

i was pondering again on what's up with my life. i was complaining to myself on the what if's and the why didn't i's.. but then my thoughts drifted to my dad. my dada.

don't get me wrong, he's not dead. he's alive, healthy and happy. i just thought of him and the things he's done for me and my bros. the stories he would tell us when he was a little kid. his life was no picnic. (which i won't go into details since it's too private to share really, i'll just share the lovely moments) he was a kid who lived and loved the simple life. his mom, my loving grandma (may she rest in peace) was a dentist who stopped practicing because she had to take care of the family. family being my dad, her older sisters and some of my dad's cousins.he was trained well to be really simple and enjoy the things that you have and never want more than enough. i really admire my dad for being really simple.

i remember his story that he just walks to school everyday. he was studying in Paco Catholic School. imagine walking from makati to paco now... that would be a real feat i tell you....travel time riding a jeep takes 45 to an hour, what more then?? i also remember my dad telling us that when he and his cousins were playing cops and robbers, his cousins would have real guns while he would only have this 2x2 long block of wood as a gun. sure, he was envious of his cousins, but then what's important to him was having fun. his mom told him that... you just have to use your imagination to have fun. toys are just toys. they could only get far, your imagination could get you farther than any toy...

another thing that i admire most from my dad is his love of music. which i would proudly say i got from him. except the talent for playing instruments. what i got was the appreciation of the music.at a young age i knew who the beatles were, who the rolling stones were the real rockers... sure, i was taught to sing nursery rhymes in school but at home i was singing fra lippo lippi, the jets, or anything my dad plays in his "big" component. my dad never got formal lessons in guitar, keyboards or drums, he learned it on his own. yes, my dad is a widow when it comes to instruments. a rare gift indeed. he learned to play the drums using old ice cream containers and milk cans. which he himself made to look like a real drum set. wow.

my dad never thought of himself, it was always others before him. especially now he has us, his own family. it's rare that he gets to buy what he wants, and if ever that happens, he would always think twice. but i urge him on. . aside from music he loves gadgets and games. i was even the one who pressured him to finally buy a digicam so that he won't spend on films and developing costs. if you could only see the happiness in his face when he finally got the camera. i just captured it in my mind and saved it there forever. he looked like a little boy getting the best present in the world. he needs to reward himself sometimes, which i always tell him.

and speaking of rewards, when i get enough money saved up, i'll give him the greatest reward ever in his life... i'll bring him to England and tour him all around the place, especially all the places where the Beatles were. my dad the Beatles fan would really flip over that. i plan to walk along abbey road with him, go to strawberry fields, and enjoy the whole Beatles experience with him. i know my dad would really love it. that would be the biggest thank you gift i could give him for bringing me up this way. and realizing that life is really better seen from simple eyes...

promise dada, we'll go to england... soon...

No comments: